Wednesday, June 06, 2007

More From The Road

Last night I was out on my telephone booth sized deck, reading the local paper ($600K for a 800 sq. foot house, yikes!), and listening to a house band covering the Eagle's "Love Will Keep Us Alive", when fireworks started booming across the street. I nearly soiled myself when the first one exploded that nearby and unexpectedly. Apparently a Japanese cosmetics company was celebrating their 20th year anniversary (says today's paper) and put on a 15 minute fireworks show on the beach. I took a few pictures of the festivities (keep scrolling) and was apparently treated to a rarity, the world's largest single fireworks explosion. According to the paper, this was only the 11th time in the world that this particular firework has been used, and the first ever in Hawaii. It was of course the finale of the celebration, and I have to admit it was absolutely amazing. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but honestly wasn't expecting it. Golden in color, it exploded across the sky, and continued to mushroom until it looked like it was going to swallow the hotel it was hovering over. This thing was literally five times the size of any other fireworks explosion I've ever seen, incredible.

This morning on my way to visit a credit union, I swung by Punchbowl, a place I haven't been to in nearly twenty years. I wish I could have spent more time, it was very peaceful and serene, but had to move on to make my appointment. I took a few pictures there as well.

The Hawaiian house band tonight played a bit of Metallica's "Call Of Ktulu" on the ukelele, that's something you don't hear everyday.













No comments: